Subject: Re: Linux's term driver
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/1996 16:49:13
>>I just thought you guys might want to know that I think (whoever did the
>>pc console - Mycroft?) and Hellmuth did a good job.. I just got DG/Linux
>>recently and catted a binary file (mostly by accident)... apparently printing
>>a ^N R put the tty in some funky alt charset state, which stty -sane and clea
>>couldn't reset... blech... Anyway, back to the real matters at hand...

>Sorry, but i can't echo your sentiments.

	[ black on black and stuff ]

>I dunno about pcvt, but pccons is DEFINITELY buggy in this regard.

	I can see where this would be a real problem in pccons. In pcvt,
I have /etc/rc.pcvt (started in rc.local) that sets the 50 line mode,
sets the colors, loads fonts, etc .. a few times when I lost a useable
console I would login to another console and (as root) "sh /etc/rc.pcvt"
which would do all that shebangie again (including resetting the colors
with scon.. something like

	size=-s50
	for screen in 0 1 2 3
	do
        	/usr/local/bin/scon -c$screen $size -H \
               		 -p black,0,0,25 -p lightgray,50,50,0
	done

I think this is kind of a handy thing to have around.. perhaps some little
10-line program could be included for pccons users (like scon for pcvt) which
echos out the proper sequences to reset to a standard color scheme?

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group