Subject: Re: port-i386/2264: extremely annoying choice of key map for standard PC keyboard BACKSPACE key
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/1996 08:54:45
[ On Tue, April  2, 1996 at 11:31:10 (+0200), Havard Eidnes wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: port-i386/2264: extremely annoying choice of key map for standard PC keyboard BACKSPACE key
>
> My personal opinion is that the backspace key by default should
> continue sending DEL.  (There are just too many places in emacs
> which presupposes DEL to make it easy to switch, and besides, God
> always intended for that particular key to send DEL, anyway! ;-)

What does emacs have to do with the codes a keyboard should generate for
a standardly labeled key?

In my opinion emacs is flexible enough to adapt to whatever the keyboard
generates (and one has to be prepared to adapt it in any case when using
a "standard" keyboard -- I for one don't use an i386 console all of the
time).  However there's lots of software out there that isn't quite so
easily adaptable, esp. when it's running on a remote machine.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods