Subject: Re: Java for NetBSD
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathaniel D. Daw <ndd2@columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/1996 14:20:08
> I am using the linux version of java under NetBSD/i386 and it works
> fine. The only thing that doesn't work is the appletviewer (it hangs
> after showing the window)

the appletviewer works for me, but hangs when trying to play sounds ...
is anyone doing further work on the linux sound emulation? I dug into it
a little trying to get the linux realaudio player working, but it looked
like I'd have to deal with /dev/mixer, which is beyond my ken.

> I would appreciate a NetBSD version, but since the linux version works
> and I'm just playing around with java I'm too lazy to do anything
> about it.

There are now a number of possibilities for BSD java. The Netscape Atlas
preview now has java in the BSDI version, and the BSDI emulation has
always worked better and faster for me than linux. Also, it is a little
known fact that with some restrictions you can use Netscape as a drop-in
replacement for the java interpreter in the JDK (get the classes.zip
file from the JDK, point your $CLASSPATH at it, then 'netscape -java
[args]' will behave just like 'java [args]' for purposes such as running
javac. I have more info on this if anyone is interested, but the point
is it is a way to have your java fully bsd-ified). There is also the
kaffe project, which is a JIT compiling interpreter for java under
FreeBSD/NetBSD which is supposedly getting quite cool. And finally, it's
possible using the j2c package to convert javac to c and compile it
natively. So if all you use java for, like me, is writing applets and
viewing them, you needn't use any linux emulation anymore.

nd