Subject: Booting problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@lust.isca.uiowa.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/1996 12:29:41
I am trying to install NetBSD 1.1 on my Dell Dimension P133 system (I have been
running NetBSD on my Amiga for some time now).  I have 2 drives - one EIDE that
is nearly full of Windoze, and a second SCSI drive connected to a NCR 810
card.  I plan to dedicate the SCSI drive to NetBSD, and I have already partitioned
it as part of the NetBSD installation procedure.

The problem is that my BIOS (Dell's AmiBIOS version A5) doesn't seem to support my
NCR 810 based SCSI card, so I can't boot up NetBSD.  I grabbed boot.com after
reading the port-i386 archives, and that almost works.  I boot from a copy of
the GENERIC-OTHER kernel from my c: drive, but when I specify hd(1,a)/netbsd,
the computer simply reboots, probably from the lack of SCSI support in the BIOS.
If I choose the default dos(1,a)/netbsd (or whatever it is), NetBSD boots, but
panics when it can't find the root partition on wd1.

So what am I to do?  I am looking into what my BIOS options are, but I would be
happy with simply using boot.com.  Is there a way to force/choose the root
partition, so once NetBSD boots, it will use sd1a instead of wd1a?  With the
Amiga 'loadbsd' command, there is a flag that will allow you to specify the
root partition.

Jeff Thieleke