Subject: Re: More on SCSI timeouts during installation
To: Amir Rosenblatt <amir@garpac.com>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/1996 06:36:26
>On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>
>> >I removed the drive at SCSI ID 1 and double-checked the termination on
>> >the other drive.  Got the same results.  At no time when it triedmto
>> >label the disk did the disk activity light even blip.  Here's the output
>> >from my attempt this morning.
>>
>> Can you try a FreeBSD install disk?  I want to ensure that I've already
>> fixed your problem in the FreeBSD driver.  The latest snapshot can
>> be found in ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/...
>
>The FreeBSD boot disk appears to boot the machine normally until after it
>checks the SCSI devices (reports back their models and geometrys).  As
>soon as it checks them, it displays the following message and then just
>sits there till I reboot it:
>
>rootfs is 1000 Kbyte compiled in MFS

It sounds like there is a device conflicting in your machine.  I can't
recall if the latest SNAP had my fixes to the ep driver or not, but I
would suggest using the "-c" boot flag and disabling the probe to anything
you don't have in your machine.  I think the uha driver may also cause
a problem in the same way the ep driver did (rogue EISA probe).

>Is there anythiung in particular I ned to adjust from the defaults in
>either my system BIOS or the 2940W's BIOS (apart from the termination
>settings, obviously)?

Nope.

--
Justin T. Gibbs