Subject: Re: limits (was Re: Progress on this bug ? )
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/03/1996 20:11:14
> Arguably, we should be jacking up the default size on a few of the
> limits, like the number of file descriptors and the stack
> size. Machines are getting bigger, and in almost all cases the change
> doesn't hurt people with smaller machines. The only machines it causes
> trouble on are typically multiuser systems and people can just lower
> the limits on those...

The number of file descriptors is a function of the 'maxusers'
configuration parameter...

If you have a buffed-out machine that's under-configured, well, whose
fault is that?  8-)

It's worth noting that other OSes (e.g. Digital UNIX) allow a variable
number of open files, vnodes, etc., based on memory size.  This may,
in general, be a good idea...

chris