Subject: Re: buslogic/adaptec conflicts
To: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/1996 08:46:48
Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de> writes:

> I have an AIC6360 base hostadapter, and there is code in
> aic6360.c which checks if the card is on the right interrupt,
> but this code is obviously commented out with
> #ifdef NEWCONFIG, which I though port-i386 was using...

I've never enabled that code in any driver, because it simply can't
work right if you're sharing IRQs (even for level-trigger devices),
and thus would break existing setups.

There are other systems designed to make this work; usually they
provide a standard way to turn off a board's ability to generate
interrupts, so you can prescan all the slots and tell the boards to
all shut up.  No equivalent exists for ISA or VLB, and I don't think
it's standardized for EISA.  For PCI, you get the IRQ more or less
directly anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Just another reason that PCs suck...