Subject: Re: How to write NetBSD boot blocks to DOS disk?
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/1996 15:01:59
>When I do a "disklabel -B ...", I can boot NetBSD just fine, but it
>toasts the DOS parition table.  If I boot a DOS floppy and run fdisk
>after that, it just gives me garbage partition data.
>
>My concern is: where does disklable put the boot blocks?  And, where
>should it be putting them?  Should I maybe start the whole disk in the
>disklabel at sector one instead of zero, or at cylinder one, instead
>of zero?  I dunno...

Hmmmmmmmm ... when you use disklabel -B, do you say "/dev/rsd0c", or
"/dev/rsd0d"?  What _should_ happen is that the boot blocks should get put
at the beginning of the NetBSD part of the disk.  If you use /dev/rsd0d,
it _might_ put them at the beginning of the whole disk.  That would explain
the problems you're seeing.

--Ken