Subject: Re: Some random questions about boot n' build messages ...
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/1996 10:36:04
On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Greg Earle wrote:

> I just did a (nearly) completely clean "make build" from yesterday's sources
> on a Pentium 120.  In light of this, a few trivial questions:
>
> (1) "make build" errors
>
> ===> domestic/lib/libkrb
> [...]
> test -L krb_err.et -a ! -e krb_err.et && rm -f krb_err.et
> *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> [...]
>     What's with all these little "test"-related errorlets?

This is a harmless side effect of using "&&" in conjuction with test(1).
It's "normal" for the way the Makefile is written in those directories.
(Changing these to `if' statements would remove these messages.)

> [And much later ...]
>
> ===> regress/sys/arch/i386/ldt
> mtree -def mtree/4.4BSD.dist -p // -u
> [...]
> usr/include:
>         permissions (0555, 0755, modified)
> [...]

Some of the mtree input files conflict with each other.  Again, this is
harmless; there is at least on PR that mentions conflicts like this.

> missing: ./usr/obj (not created: File exists)
> *** Error code 2 (ignored)

... usually because /usr/obj is a file or a symlink.  This is not an
error for the build process, even though mtree exits with 2 because it
couldn't do everything it was asked.

--scott