Subject: Re: port-i386/2264: extremely annoying choice of key map for standard PC keyboard BACKSPACE key
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/27/1996 10:49:22
[ On Wed, March 27, 1996 at 09:02:17 (-0500), Bill Sommerfeld wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: port-i386/2264: extremely annoying choice of key map for standard PC keyboard BACKSPACE key
>
> This isn't recent; It's been like this for *years*, since at least
> 386BSD.
>
> I *strongly* oppose the requested change..

Ah, so I can blame it all on Bill, eh!  ;-)

You West-coasters are all the same....  Oops, hmm, medford.ma.us, eh?  ;-)

BTW, NetBSD and its predecessor must be one of the only pieces of
software in the world, including all of the terminal firmware I've come
across, that mutates the PC keyboard more that it already is by changing
this simple and obvious key.  I note that some (most?) other successors
to 386BSD have applied something equivalent to my fix.

I really really hate it when my fingers get used to typing Ctrl-H all
the time!  Luckily I'm back to my Type-4 keyboard for a good while
again.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods