Subject: Re: What does this mean? "mount_msdos: mount: device not configured"
To: Robert Kennedy <robert@cs.stanford.edu>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/26/1996 17:41:46
[I trimmed netbsd-help from the cc: line -- no reason to send it to both]

>I have a SCSI disk drive with an MSDOS (FAT) file system on it, and
>I'm trying to read it under NetBSD 1.1 on an i486 with an Adaptec 1542
>host adapter.

>The drive in question is my second SCSI drive (sd1); I boot NetBSD
>from sd0.
>
>I'm trying to mount sd1 with the following command:
>	mount_msdos /dev/sd1a /mnt
>
>When I try the command for the first time after
>booting, the kernel prints the message:
>	sd1: no disk label
>
>and then I get two copies of the message:
>	mount_msdos: mount: device not configured

The problem here is that NetBSD really wants a NetBSD disklabel on the disk.
It doesn't find one, so it can't access any partitions.  That's why you
get the "no disk label" message.

You might try using /dev/sd1d, since that's by default "the whole disk",
rather than "the first parition".  There is a slightly weird technique for
putting a BSD disklabel on a MS-DOS only disk.  Check the mailing list
archives for it.

I believe that in -current, the disk driver was changed to emit a default
disklabel so that you don't need to do this anymore.

--Ken