Subject: SCSI HD problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/1996 14:25:32
Hi all--

I'm having odd problems with my SCSI setup.  When I boot NetBSD (1.1
or 1.0), the kernel correctly identifies my controller (AHA-1510A) as
aic0 and gets appropriate information from my disk -- make, model,
geometry.  However, once I've gotten to the single-user prompt, I
can't access the disk at all; when I try a disklabel (or newfs), it
complains about a timeout, then complains about a timeout AGAIN, then
gives up.  What's up?

System (don't laugh; I'm a poor college student):
	Magnavox HeadStart (386/DX-33 w' 387, 16-bit ISA)
	on-board IDE & floppy, AHA-1510A SCSI controller

Another disk-related problem I'm having with this computer, and which
I posted before but got little response on:  I've got a Quantum
LPS540AT (1120 cylinders), and I can't get it to work with
NetBSD-1.1.  It seems like the standard problem with the 1024-cylinder
limit, except that this drive works just fine under NetBSD-1.0.  The
symptoms are an inability for a freshly-newfs'd partition to withstand
an fsck.  It also corrupts any data I store on it...

TIA.

Chris

Chris Jones                                      cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu
           Mad scientist in training...