Subject: Re: Adaptec 7870, netbsd-current (3/17/96)
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/1996 10:59:40

>Strange, according to ahc driver's source code (I don't have spec.),
>AIC7870 should be probed as PCI device, not EISA device.
>Does someone know why ?

Yes, see my other reply to this.

># There is new ahc driver which is port of current FreeBSD's code
># (by Pete Bentley), but it doesn't seem to cope with this case.
># It treats aic7870 as only PCI device.

You should import my driver on a vendor branch and track it there.
I've already made a few improvments to the timeout code for the driver.
I do have Pete's patches (based on 1.1), but the aren't appropriate
for NetBSD-current and don't properly handle residual reporting for
NetBSD.  All in all I think that dealing with it on a vendor branch
is the best approach rather then sticking tons of #ifdefs in the
FreeBSD driver many of which will be quickly obsoleted by work in
NetBSD-current.

>> I tried all "simple" hacks I could think of.. adding the 7870 to
>> eisadevs, deleting the eisa bus from the kernel entirely (no other
>> eisa things.. this just makes it not recognize anything).
>
>Another hack you can do is
>	1. add following statement to sys/dev/isa/aha284x.c:ahe_probe()
>		if (sig_id[2] == 0x78 && sig_id[3] == 0x70)
>			ahc->type = AHC_AIC7870;
>	2. add "ahe" driver for your config file as
>		ahe0	at isa? port 0xfc00 irq ?
>		scsibus* at ahe?
>	  (port 0xfc00 means slot 15 of eisa device)
>	3. config && make && reboot

Don't do this.  The aic7870 is a sufficiently different beast than
the aic7770 that the results would be very unpredictable.

For those that care to report problems or ask questions about the
development of this driver, there is aic7xxx@FreeBSD.org (maintained
by majordomo@FreeBSD.org).  It has FreeBSD and Linux subscribers
since Linux also uses this driver.  NetBSD users are welcome too.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations