Subject: Re: Adaptec 7870, netbsd-current (3/17/96)
To: Mika Nystrom <mika@cs.caltech.edu>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/1996 10:51:15
>The motherboard has two Adaptec AIC-7870P chips clearly visible on it.
>When the kernel boots up, it finds the pci, eisa, and isa buses (in that
>order), and proceeds to print messages to the effect that there are three
>unknown devices on the pci bus (plus ep1, the 3c595 ethernet card), one
>of which is a bridge, another of which seems to be the pci/eisa bridge
>(ids:8086/0482 pci0 dev 14) and the last of which is completely unknown
>(ids:8086/0008 pci0 dev 15), but the vendorid suggests that it is an Intel
>card of some kind. Nothing else.
>
>The next step is the eisa probing. The system finds:
>
>ADP7870 at eisa0 slot 15 not configured
>INT3130 at eisa0 slot 13 not configured

The aic7870 is a PCI device.  The aic7770 is its EISA counterpart.
The FreeBSD eisaconf code only probes up to slot 9 to prevent running
into non EISA cards assigned to this address space on some weird PCI/EISA
motherboards.  Since the aic7870 does have its vendor ID at 0xM80 (M
being the base address allocated by the PCI BIOS) its conceivable for
NetBSD's eisaconf to get confused and see it as an EISA device since
Adaptec's PCI and EISA ids are the same but only if the PCI BIOS gave
the card a base address of 0xZC00 (Z being the slot number).

>Any suggestions would be most welcome!

I'd be more worried about why the PCI code didn't attach the card.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations