Subject: Re: more boot block questions
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/1996 01:15:20
Charles M. Hannum wrote:

>    I know that on some machines, HIMEM.SYS needs a switch (/machine:N with
>    some N) for something to do with A20. Does NetBSD (or the bootblocks)
>    know or care about this?
>
> I can't find any documentation that actually describes what that
> option does.

The DOS user manual documentation is sketchy at best, but it seems to be
something to do with timing. Anyway, NetBSD does boot up, and it seems
to me that if the A20 call in the bootblock didn't work, I wouldn't work
at all. I guess I won't worry about it.

BTW, among the systems needing /machine:1 is the IBM PC/AT (actually "1,
11, 12, or 13"). 1 seems to be the most common, at least of those
machines listed.