Subject: Re: Silo overflow?
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/22/1996 23:45:50
>>>>> "Charles" == Charles M Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu> writes:

Dave>    I usually got the silo overflows while downloading, so I
Dave> figured having the serial port and the IDE disk busy at the
Dave> same time caused the problem.

Charles> This should be sort-of fixed in -current.  I've arranged
Charles> things so that serial port interrupts can always interrupt
Charles> the IDE driver.

	This is good news.  It does seem to be somewhat better in
-current.  I have not noticed any significant complaint tonight while
downloading.  However, it still seems that flooding both directions
can cause the previous symptom.  This might be a matter of optimising
what happens when you're doing this.

Charles> You'll still lose badly if you have a 3c509, though...

	I suppose that I'm 'lucky' to have bought a cheep Novell-2000
clone card.  Seems to work relativly well in my setup.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |