Subject: Re: disklabel fd0
To: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/22/1996 17:05:29
>I haven't been able to label any disks lately, and have
>to resolv to duplicating old disklabeld disks.

>I'm using:
>	disklabel -w -B fd0 floppy3
>which just results in:

>Mar 22 05:03:42 wipux2 /netbsd: fd0d: hard error writing fsbn 0 of 0-15 (st0 4
0<abnrml> st1 1<no_am> st2 0 cyl 0 head 0 sec 1)
>Mar 22 05:04:30 wipux2 /netbsd: fd0d: hard error reading fsbn 0 (st0 40<abnrml
> st1 1<no_am> st2 0 cyl 0 head 0 sec 1)

A "hard error" is when it think for some reason the hardware is failing.

Notice, though, that the messages indicate "fd0d" as the device. In hard
disk devices, the last letter (b,c,d,etc) indicate swap, netbsd portion of
disk, and full disk partition sizes.

In floppy-land, the last letter indicates (i think):
	a:  default (probed) geometry of drive, max supported
	b: 1.44MB
	c: 1.2MB
	d: 360KB/AT (360k disk in 1.2MB drive)
	e: 360KB/PC (360k drive)
	f: 720KB
	g: 720KB/x (720k disk in 1.2MB drive)
	h: 360KB/x (360k disk in 720k drive

Thus, when you specified "fd0" disklabel automatically attached the "d"
on the end (thinking it was a hard disk and looking for the raw partition).
Then the driver switched the drive into a different mode, incompatible
with your floppy's formatted density.

You need to specify

	disklabel -w -B /dev/fd0a floppy3

instead.

CHeers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group