Subject: Re: Silo overflow?
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/1996 07:30:11
David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>  wrote:
 > 	Is there some kernel configuration that will make things work
 > a little better?

You can try munging the FIFO triggers in com.c and see if that improves
things for you. ie: set them to TRIG_1 or whatever... you'll generate
more interrupts but it might decrease your silo overflows.

 > 	What is the price and where can I find the the 'smart' serial
 > card alternatives (preferably Canadian or near-Toronto locations)?

I'm using a hayes/ESP on a 386/40 with 8MB to retrieve a newsfeed off
of satellite at a steady stream of 115.2kbps and it doesn't miss a beat.

However, for this sort of speed, you need to increase the tty buffers
and the value of TTYHOG to something more than 1k... I set them to 4k
on this setup.

These are all things you actually have to do in the source. you can't
do these things in the config file...

I had thought of some way to do this via sysctl or in the config file,
but Charles said he was going to rework the TTYHOG thing one day
anyway...

Hope that helps.