Subject: Re: More Math Coprocessor Emulation Questions
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Daniel P Kamalic <pocky@mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/1996 15:53:10
> > math_emulate: 0xd9fa not implemented

> What OS were your Maple, Scheme, and Netscape binaries compiled for?
> Unlike NetBSD (see src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/arch/i386/netbsd.h), that OS' C
> compiler probably uses the full range of 387 instructions.

	Hmm...  Come to think of it, I'm running Linux binaries for all three of
those programs.  There's a netbsd binary of Scheme, but that crashes my
whole damned system.  (Probably more a fault of whoever compiled that
version than my system, but I'll check into that anyway.)  There's also a
directory called inbsdbin within the maple directory on afs, but when I
tried running Maple out of than it said it was Maple for Linux and I got
the same error.
	I'll definitely try to get my hands on some working NetBSD binaries of
these programs and see what happens.  I imagine I might just end up going
to Linux for the time being, though.
	Can anybody confirm math_emulate's apparent incompatibility with Linux
binaries and/or suggest a fix/hack/kluge (aside from buying a coprocessor
or a new cpu).

					-Dan

>From page 5 of Mandelbrot's *The Fractal Geometry of Nature*:

	Scientists will (I am sure) be surprised and delighted that quite a
few shapes they had to call grainy, hydralike, in-between, pimply, POCKY,
ramified, seaweedy, strange, tangled, torturous, wiggly, wispy, wrinkled,
and the like, can henceforth be approached in rigorous and vigorous
quantitative fashion.