Subject: Report and outstanding issues...
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/1996 12:19:51
	I'm sending a message about the outstanding sparc issues to
port-sparc.

	Well... the much talked about little 386 is now building it's
own world.  There is a certain dignity afforded a machine that
compiles it's own OS.  The install went well the third time.

	The install could benifit from being able to work with more
than one disk.  I had to jump through a few hoops to make my
configuration work (2 40 meg disks).

	I think that the thing that the most people lost sleep over
was the ethernet problem.  I never really solved it, but now I am
using an 8 port AUI concentator, and things appear to be working
well.  As far as I know, the 8 port concentrator has a problem with
it's uplink port (which is why I have it), but until I have more than
8 machines at home, I'm fine.

	Someone also commented that my VESA 4 drive + I/O controller
may not work.  This may not resolve anything, but mine works.
However, exchanging it for an ISA controller, I don't see any
difference in the boot messages (besides the 16550's turning into
16450's).  So VESA is obviously not special cased.

	Now, I wanted to build my current tree (so that kernel and
user  lands would be in sync), but I got an error about building with
libgcc, so I immediately went to build gcc. During that build (1 month
old sup (which I'm updating now)), I got the following:

===> libgcc
cc -O -I/u/dgilbert/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../common -I/u/dgilbert/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../arch  -I/u/dgilbert/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../arch/i386  -c -DL__gcc_bcmp -o __gcc_bcmp.o /u/dgilbert/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c
/u/dgilbert/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c:76: no data type for mode `XF'
/u/dgilbert/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c:82: unknown machine mode `__word__'

	I had a look at this.  I don't have the foggiest what this is
doing here (obviously, these is some gcc-specific 'feature' that we're
using?)

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |