Subject: Re: More Math Coprocessor Emulation Questions
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel P Kamalic <pocky@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/1996 09:45:36
	The version of Maple I have been attempting to use recently is indeed
for X.  I've run it before on the same system (still no FPU) under MS-Windoze
without a hitch.  It greatly pains me to attempt to believe that the math
emulator for 16-bit MS-Windows is better than that for NetBSD.

	MIT has obtained a licence for Maple (and Matlab and Mathematica) and
distributes it freely to its students over AFS.

	I understand that the worst is true and that you're probably right,
but I find it hard to believe that the reason why none of these programs can
work on an SX machine is because of bad math-emul opcode.  I have a nice,
upgradable motherboard, and I was intending to upgrade my processor before
I bought a math chip.  Should I try Linux, or will I find the same problem?
	If anyone out there has successfully run these programs on a machine
with no FPU, please let me know.

-Dan