Subject: Re: Problems getting i386 talking to sparc with ethernet
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/10/1996 21:57:51
On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, David Gilbert wrote:

> 	The sparc then changes it's tune to 'ping sendto: host is
> down'.  Conversely, if I ping from the 386, I get 'ed2: device
> timeout' a few times before ping responds with 'ping sendto: host is
> down' ...

	I had the same problem under both NetBSD and FreeBSD.  I had
FreeBSD on a 386sx/16 and Net is on a 386dx/40.  Both cases I was running
an NE1k (ed2 in NetBSD at least).  I trashed FreeBSD a while back, and
when I got the same thing under Net (first install a few days ago), I
decided it had to either do with a) 386 or b) NE1K.  I put in a 3c509 and
everything ran, and is still running, smoothly.

	I've only been using NetBSD for a few days, though, so I don't
know all that much about it, but am I right in thinking that irq is
hardcoded into the driver?  If so, that could be my problem because it's
listed differently in the kernel config for ed2.  Has anyone had success
with an NE1k? (we've got a lot of them)

--
The Unix/UUCP/Usenet and anything else that starts with a 'U' guy.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>