Subject: Re: problems with le0
To: Jarkko Torppa <torppa@cute.fi>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/09/1996 18:57:42
On Sun, 10 Mar 1996 03:47:11 +0200
 Jarkko Torppa <torppa@cute.fi> wrote:

 > I can only confirm your problems, my Compaq-P75 with onboard PCnet-PCI
 > has reported
 >  Mar  7 00:05:23 dirty /netbsd: le0: framing error
 >  Mar  7 00:05:23 dirty /netbsd: le0: crc mismatch
 >  Mar  7 00:05:24 dirty /netbsd: le0: framing error
 >  Mar  7 00:05:24 dirty /netbsd: le0: crc mismatch

This isn't the same problem that Perry is seeing.  These messages
indicate that your network card is receiving garbled packets from the
network.  My hp300 (uses the same MI LANCE code) sees these at *exactly*
the same time my sun4/260 reports a "DMA underrun" (due to a bug in the
NetBSD/sparc ie driver) ... the DMA underrun results in a garbage packet
from the sun.

I also used to see these alot when at Oregon State ... We had a bunch of
NetBSD/hp300 boxes on the same segment as an old Sequent Balance with a
sickly SCED card.

 > Also it seems to give le0-carrier dropped message when moved a bit when
 > running.

The combination of the "carrier dropped" and "framing error" messages
could indicate that the physical wiring that is plugged into the back of
your machine is duff.  Is it 10base-T, AUI, or thin coax?