Subject: Re: Installing from dos-formatted ZIP drive
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
From: Martin Loeffler <martin.loeffler@utoronto.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/1996 10:26:15
At 08:23 AM 2/28/96 -0500, Eric S. Hvozda wrote:

>> So it's recognizing the fact that it's a DOS-formatted disk. It also reports
>> 4 parititions on the disk, so I think /dev/sd0d is correct. So (deep breath)
>> what's the difference between:
>
>Not necessarily.  What does fdisk /dev/rsd0d report?  Does it see a DOS

Well, I've got a chicken and the egg problem. There's no fdisk (none that I can
find) in my initiall installation. So, I broke down and decided to install via
ftp, but the install can't find my ether card (an SMC Elite 16C ultra), so
that's
a no-go   );

>partition?  If so, you will need to use Charles' hack at the end of Ken's
>"Partitioning MS-DOS disk for NetBSD use" document that I posted.  Basically
>you cannot disklabel a disk that doesn't have a NetBSD partition, and you
>can't mount partitions from a disk without a disklabel :-)

Funny - I just happen to be reading 'Catch-22' this week.

>Now Michael said he has been able to mount DOS ZIP disks without a
>disklabel, but they also were not partitioned (ie the DOS partition
>started at sector 0, not 1 track in and contained no MBR.  I really
>don't understand how it works tho.
>
>Michael, can you go into more detail on how you made it work?

Yes, please do.

M.
--
Everyone wants it Better, Faster, and Cheaper.
Pick two and call me back.

martin.loeffler@utoronto.ca