Subject: Installing from dos-formatted ZIP drive
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Loeffler <martin.loeffler@utoronto.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1996 20:48:28
I've just subscribed to this list, so forgive me if I'm re-posting
this month's hot topic.

What I'm doing is trying to install NetBSD 1.1 on the following machine:

AMD dx3/80
8meg ram
Adaptec AHA1542B scsi card
Iomega Zip drive
Quantum Fireball 1.28G EIDE hd

During boot I get the following messages:

aha0: targ 5 lun 0: <IOMEGA, ZIP 100, N*32> SCSI2 0/direct removable
sd0 at scsibus(aha0:5:0): illegal request, data - 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00
00 ff fe 01 02 57 00 00
sd0: could not mode sense (4): using fictitious geometry
: 96MB, 96 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec

Now it looks unwell, but returns all the right numbers in terms of drive
geometry. nb- I've been able to mount the exact same disk under Linux
without any kind of problem.

After running the install and copying the kernel to the hd (yes, the one
with the adaptec support), I try to execute the following command:

mount -t msdos /dev/sd0x /mnt2

when x=, I get:
a        'msdos: mount: Device not configured'
b               "
c               "
d        'Invalid argument'
e        'msdos: mount: Device not configured'
f               "
g               "

Now, in the FAQs I've noticed mention made of enabling the kernel for
'MSDOSFS'. Is there something I yet need to do to the kernel to support
this?

Thanks.

M.
--
Everyone wants it Better, Faster, and Cheaper.
Pick two and call me back.

martin.loeffler@utoronto.ca