Subject: Math Coprocessor Emulation
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel P Kamalic <pocky@mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1996 12:32:47
	How do I enable math coprocessor emulation on NetBSD?  I get strange
errors when running Netscape Java applets and MIT Scheme (a dialect of Lisp).

	For example:

(/ 5 2)
;Value:
;Hardware trap SIGSEGV
;Type D to debug error, Q to quit back to REP loop: D

	Java sometimes gives me a no math coprocessor error that, when I just
now tried to repeat it,  killed Netscape.

	I know there's math coprocessor emulation, and I know that it has
to be implemented.  I just don't know how to do it.

	Does anyone know?

	(Incidentally, I'm running 1.0A on a Cyrix 486DLC-40  No built in FPU,
never added a coprocessor.)

						-Dan

>From page 5 of Mandelbrot's *The Fractal Geometry of Nature*:

	Scientists will (I am sure) be surprised and delighted that quite a
few shapes they had to call grainy, hydralike, in-between, pimply, POCKY,
ramified, seaweedy, strange, tangled, torturous, wiggly, wispy, wrinkled,
and the like, can henceforth be approached in rigorous and vigorous
quantitative fashion.