Subject: Re: Copy_Kernel hack
To: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1996 10:21:19
On Sun, 25 Feb 1996 09:26:05 -0500 (EST)  psapp@terra.cnct.com wrote:

> P.S. Is there a way to download the installation files over a serial port
> to avoid the hassle of have to deal with all those messy floppy disks? I
> have a DOS box with all the files.

If you get enough of the distribution on and the install kernel has
sl or ppp devices (ifconfig -a should tell you), I don't see why not
(tho it would take forever :-).

One trick I used to use before my PCMCIA ethernet card was supported
and I had a MS-D0G partition available was this:

1)  make a inst and kc floppy as normal
2)  using normal boot sequnce get wd0a bootable
3)  now add your MS-D0G partition to the disklabel; all the tools are
    there disklabel(8), ed(1), etc
4)  mount the partition and slirp off the files

Of course this presupposes you put the distribution files on the
MS-D0G partition :-)

I use this trick often if I don't have a network available; and it works
farily well (done it with 0.9-1.1, and OpenBSD recently)...