Subject: Re: Incompatible slices.
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1996 18:27:24
In some mail I received from Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com, sie wrote

> >I'd like to report that partition slices in FreeBSD 2.1.0 and NetBSD 1.1
> >aren't 100% compatible.
>
> I wasn't aware NetBSD even *had* "slices".

It depends on what you want to call it, I guess, but is a good a name as any
for describing partitioning within a partition.  FreeBSD distinguishes them
as "wd0s[1-4][a-h]".  So what would have been wd0g is now wd0s1g, for example.

Linux doesn't support this (1.2.13) at all, from what I can tell.  Solaris
2.x x86 does (haven't tried to mount one of those partitions yet, but will
try tonight or later this week).  Yes, I'm trying to make all 4 co-exist on
one box...Interestingly, the Solaris 2 partition shows up as "Linux Swap"
under various fdisks...and otherwise forgetting about Linux as much as
possible.

In my case, I've got 7 partitions across 2 disks, with 2 for DOS, 1 for Solaris,
1 for Linux, 3 for BSD.  To make booting work, the boot partition for each of
FreeBSD and NetBSD needs to be on a separate disk (unless I want to play with
what is active and not all the time).  The third BSD partition is being used
to provide "private" extra trees for each whilst also (hopefully) provide a
common partition (for stuff like netscape, etc).  DOS's 4 partition rule is
a pain.  btw, I'm coming to the realisation that I'm insane attempting this