Subject: Re: Incompatible slices.
To: None <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/25/1996 09:31:06
> I'd like to report that partition slices in FreeBSD 2.1.0 and NetBSD 1.1
> aren't 100% compatible.

Thanks.  Now where's the fix you were supposed to have attached? :-)

I'm actually semi-serious with the above, if only because you've now
declared yourself to be one of those rare folks who have even *tried*
this, much less had the motivation to see it work.  Myself, I'd just
put NetBSD on a spare box and stop thinking about it, as I suspect would
most people in the FreeBSD core team.

I'm not say that there isn't a problem with FreeBSD here - there probably
is, assuming that interoperability is some kind of goal (and I believe it
is, though not a highest-priority one).  What I'm saying is that the
*only* way problems like this get fixed is when someone with both: a) the
skill and b) the motivation gets involved enough to come up with a fix
acceptable to both parties.  Actually, (a) is often optional when (b)
is high enough, since skill can be acquired.

As far as I can see, you're it! :-)

					Jordan