Subject: Getting at low memory during boot
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thorsten Lockert <tholo@SigmaSoft.COM>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/1996 20:12:45
Is there a (simple) way to map the first and last 4Kb of low memory during
kernel initialization?  I need to be able to look at the extended bios
data area, the last Kilobyte of conventional memory (which will likely be
reported as 639 or 511 Kb avail instead of 640 or 512 if the data is
present), or the system BIOS...  I know I can get at the system bios by
using the ISA_HOLE_VADDR() macro, but I'm not sure how I can map in the
low memory otherwise.

Preferrably I'd also want to know how to release those mapped pages after
looking at them, so they return to the free pool...

Thorsten
--
Thorsten Lockert        | postmaster@sigmasoft.com | Universe, n.:
1238B Page Street       | hostmaster@sigmasoft.com |         The problem.