Subject: Re: MS-DOS filling up, 8.3 "convention"
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/1996 14:48:16
>I remember way back when, if you filled up your MS-DOZ partition things
>would blow up.  Since I'm creating a way to automagically move stuff to/from
>MS-DOZ, I want to make sure that it won't happen.  Is this bug fixed,
>and if so, when was it fixed?

I remember when simply writing to it would cause it to self destruct.
I've been writing to it recently and had no problems, and I think I've
even filled it once.

>mangler that has knowledge of the 8.3 limit and will try and smush it in
>by removing vowels, non-percussive consonants, etc.  THe other alternative
>is to give them really boring names (00000001, etc) and just deal with it.

Well, if you run Winblows95 type of system the long filenames should
be preserved.  That has been in there for some time.  The only concern
is that the names are not case sensitive, but I believe case is
preserved.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!