Subject: MS-DOS filling up, 8.3 "convention"
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/1996 09:46:43
I remember way back when, if you filled up your MS-DOZ partition things
would blow up.  Since I'm creating a way to automagically move stuff to/from
MS-DOZ, I want to make sure that it won't happen.  Is this bug fixed,
and if so, when was it fixed?

Finally, anyone got suggestions on how to deal with weird filename
conventions w/o manual intervention?  I'm thinking of writing a perl filename
mangler that has knowledge of the 8.3 limit and will try and smush it in
by removing vowels, non-percussive consonants, etc.  THe other alternative
is to give them really boring names (00000001, etc) and just deal with it.

I'm also thinking of maintaining an "export filename xlation list" which
tracks the original filenames, so when they emerge from the other side
(after being scanned for virii) I can restore real filenames.
This is so when I archive them under Unix they have real names.
Suggestions?  Anyone interested in a copy?