Subject: Re: Problems with EISA SCSI driver
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/21/1996 10:08:08
>>ahe0: 274x Twin Channel, A SCSI Id=7, B SCSI Id=7, aic7770 >= Rev E, 4 SCBs

>>Any ideas?  Should we replace the EISA controller with a PCI one?  Is there
>>a reason why the ahe driver/hardware is slower than the 2940 board we
>>have on another system (the difference is something like 3 MB/sec vs.
>>7 MB/sec)?

I saw an amazing improvement when I went to PCI from VLB.  I would
assume the same sort of improvement would happen from EISA to PCI.

>Failing that, I would suspect, secondly, the ahe driver.

I'd almost jump right to this one.  :)

The driver in NetBSD is somewhat older than the one in FreeBSD.  That
is, the microcode downloaded to the chip is older.  The driver just
calls the lower levels, so the ``ahe driver'' is really simple.

As for the lower level microcode and driver, there are several reasons
NetBSD should be upgraded.  One is to support the 2940U (Ultra) and I
also believe there were a few bug fixes in the FreeBSD code.

One person said he was working on this.  I've not heard back from him
recently, and while I do have a 2940 and know someone with a 2842, I
don't wanna break my machine just yet  :)  Perhaps after the nfsv3
changes settle down.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!