Subject: Re: installing 1.1....
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/21/1996 09:40:50
In message <9602192007.AA00499@lexington.liris.loral.com>, "Eric S. Hvozda" wri
tes:
>However, assuming that Net boot blocks can load a Free kernel (or
>vice versa), you could load both OSs (with some minor trickery)
>and be able to select the one of choice at the boot blocks.  This seems
>like a pain to me tho...

This is the issue "multiboot" is trying to address.
They want to be able to add "modules" to your boot loader so you can
use one boot block to load Linux, *BSD, Mach, etc. - at least on x86's.
As soon as I finish up my VMTracing stuff I'm supposed to look into
translating the multiboot info struct into a boothowto string

>I once tried to use Linux's fdisk program to create *BSD partitions.  I
>learned a very painful lesson.  Someone was kind enough to point out
>to me that pfdisk.exe is very nice if you have DOS laying around.  Never
>used *BSD's fdisk for anythign other than checking the MBR...

I think I used Linux way back when to make my *BSD partition as well;
I vaguely recall problems but I don't know what.
Hey, now what's wrong with the *BSD fdisk?  Assuming you have a calculator
handy and know what you're doing :)

BTW: did I say it enough?  print out your partition table.  If you use
MS-DOG, print out _both_ partition tables (hard/msdos + soft/unix).
And get the rescue-diskette maker from ftp.unit.no...