Subject: installing 1.1....
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/20/1996 01:26:54
Please excuse if this has been mentioned, I'm not a regular subscriber
to the list.

I'm attempting to make a multi-boot pc with freebsd & netbsd.

Unfortunately, having done freebsd first, I can't seem to make
the inst-11.fs floppy work :-(

The floppy drive light goes on...the the HD light goes on...then the
floppy light goes off.  I tried turning the cache off, no luck.
(P-100, primary: 850MB IDE+IDE CDROM; secondary: 1.6GB IDE HD)

The FreeBSD boot manager, when installed, doesn't help either :(

Btw, nothing is mentioned about ATAPI CD-ROMs being supported, so
I presume they aren't for installation ?

On a comparison note, the FreeBSD boot manager seems to be the best
I've used yet.  It supports chaining of boot records, so I can boot
of my second IDE drive (:-), including boot into Solaris2 x86 (ugh,
getting this on was _painful_: RPL boot server on another 2.5
box and install via nfs from another sunos4 boxen).

However, the best fdisk program I've used (interactively, from a
shell prompt) is Linux's, unless there is some magic unknown to
me about making freebsd's useful.

Now, if only I could use the best OS :-(

darren