Subject: Re: installing 1.1....
To: None <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/1996 16:38:53
>From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
>Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 01:26:54 +1100 (EST)

>I'm attempting to make a multi-boot pc with freebsd & netbsd.
>
>Unfortunately, having done freebsd first, I can't seem to make
>the inst-11.fs floppy work :-(
>
>The floppy drive light goes on...the the HD light goes on...then the
>floppy light goes off.  I tried turning the cache off, no luck.
>(P-100, primary: 850MB IDE+IDE CDROM; secondary: 1.6GB IDE HD)

Note that FreeBSD and NetBSD partitions can't share the same disk.
Both of them use a partition ID of 0xA5 to mark their partitions in
the DOS partition table.  Be careful about what you let the NetBSD
install script do, or it will toast your FreeBSD partition.

>Btw, nothing is mentioned about ATAPI CD-ROMs being supported, so
>I presume they aren't for installation ?

ATAPI CDROMs aren't supported at all in 1.1, although there is a beta
driver for -current.  The NetBSD boot code may not like the fact that
you have three IDE devices; try removing the CDROM and see if that
improves things.

>On a comparison note, the FreeBSD boot manager seems to be the best
>I've used yet.  It supports chaining of boot records, so I can boot
>of my second IDE drive (:-), including boot into Solaris2 x86 (ugh,
>getting this on was _painful_: RPL boot server on another 2.5
>box and install via nfs from another sunos4 boxen).

I use booteasy 1.4, which isn't part of NetBSD, but does the same
thing.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel