Subject: Re: PMS driver and ISA
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/09/1996 16:29:33
>From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
>Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 10:23:56 -0800
>
>On Fri, 9 Feb 96 13:11:13 EST
> Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com> wrote:
>
> > Is this really necessary?
> >
> > While I haven't checked exhaustively, it looks like devices are put
> > into cfdata[] in ioconf.c in the same order as they are read from
> > .../conf/files.*.  If so, all one needs to do is make sure that (e.g.)
> > "ed" appears before "mcd", then add comments explaining why.
>
>Umm ... I don't particularly like the idea of a device getting trashed
>because of the order in a config file... That order is, and should
>continue to be, arbitrary.

If I were arguing for specifying the order in
/sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC (etc.), then I would agree.  But where the
order needs to be specified is in /sys/dev/isa/files.isa.  Since it's
part of the source tree instead of something that would usually be
edited, I think it's OK for the order of items in it to be
significant.

No matter how we do it, I think setting the "probe priority" should be
done when the kernel is configured, instead of after it boots.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel