Subject: Re: NETBSD vs. Linux 'ls' command
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@convex.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/02/1996 11:18:44
In message <199602020453.XAA07372@ginger.cmf.nrl.navy.mil>  Ken Hornstein wrote:
> >Linix has a nice feature such that when using the 'ls' command directorys,
> >links, etc. show up in different colors. Does BSD support that feature. Its
> >nice to be able to tell what something is at a glance!
>
> I'd like to point out that this feature of GNU ls is extremely evil.  Why?
> Because it assumes that ANSI color-setting codes work on the tty you're
> using.  If you happen to use a terminal that locks up when sent ANSI term
> escape sequences, this really really _really_ sucks.

There is another reason why this is evil. Doing this implies a stat operation
(like -F) for every file. Try this on a slow or loaded NFS-server ...
This should be OFF by default in any ls.

> (To be honest, "ls -F" works for me, and it doesn't hose up my terminal,
> either :-) ).

And it is a better reminder for the (NFS)expensive stat() call IMHO.

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                          Convex Computer GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
grefen@convex.com		       Phone: +49-69-665270