Subject: Unix Power Tools (was Re: NETBSD vs. Linux 'ls' command)
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@niagara.nectar.cs.cmu.edu>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/02/1996 12:40:49
In message <15273.823235246@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>, Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGA
RA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>> Its nice
>> to be able to tell what something is at a glance!
>
>man ls, note what -F does, then use alias.

Or port & compile Linux's.

heheh /usr/linux/bin - funny in a twisted way.

Speaking of adding on tools, are there any sources of consolidated info on
uber tools?  You know, it would have been nice if someone had told me from
the start, "Use MH for mail, use (whatever, I use tin but it's not optimal)
for news, use ncftp instead of FTP, bash for your shell, EMACS for editing,
TeX for composing, PERL for scripts that require arrays" etc.

If nobody has a "Unix power user" web page up with links to the best
replacement tools, I may design one.

Don't flame for my choice of programs, they're just examples, but they
happen to be my pick of the litter.