Subject: Re: PCMCIA and 1.1 -current
To: Patrick Arnoux <parnoux@orli.com>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@convex.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/02/1996 06:44:08
In message <9602012356.AA14153@orli.com>  Patrick Arnoux wrote:
> > >Nothing else appears pcmcia aware yet, so the above does not seem too
> > >far out - just a bit messy.
> >
> > Yes, this is the status of things. When I added 3c590 support, I decided
> > to leave the pcmcia bits in, since they don't hurt anything.
> >
> > The pcmcia probe/attach/detach code should and will change before the the
> > rest of the pcmcia framework is committed.
>
> Could you possibly let me know if the intent is to have a design where
> none of the drivers are aware or care if the hardware is PCMCIA based ?.

Not aware is not true,  my intention when I wrote it was to share as
much code as possible with existing drivers. Most of the PCMCIA-devices emulate
an existing card and I think it would be a waste of time to reinvent all
those drivers again.
As this was an unoffical effort when I started (nearly 2 years ago) I
tried to keep the changes as small as possible.

(I'm not doing much on it right now due to time restrictions ...)

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                          Convex Computer GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
grefen@convex.com		       Phone: +49-69-665270