Subject: Re: linux pcmcia drivers
To: Garth Corral <garthc@compass-da.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/31/1996 07:43:03
On Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:38:09 -0800 (PST)
 Garth Corral <garthc@compass-da.com> wrote:

 > What is the current state of pcmcia development in NetBSD?  Is there any
 > ongoing work on this?  I have not looked at the linux stuff but I did
 > take a look at the pccard stuff in the FreeBSD 2.1 sources.  Is anyone
 > working on porting this to NetBSD?

Several people, including myself, want to get pcmcia into the tree.
However, we need to solve a couple of issues related to the configuration
model.  We have some ideas, but they involve some changes to ISA, too.

 > I have not heard much discussion on pcmcia in general or the FreeBSD code
 > in particular.  Is the FreeBSD code somehow not suitable as a base for
 > NetBSD?  I'd really like to see this working in NetBSD.  I'm willing to
 > lend a hand with this (This is not necessarily a good thing :-) ) if
 > someone could point me to the appropriate person or persons.

Again, while the code is probably good, the major stumbling block is the
configuration model.  Once we solve that, the rest should be a breeze.