Subject: APM and 1.1 experience with Compaq Contura
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Roy Sutton <rsutton@zabriskie.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/31/1996 00:34:23
I applied the apm support found at:

	ftp://sipb.mit.edu/pub/netbsd/

Nice work John Kohl. I've gotten it to work on my Compaq Contura
410C (Same hardware as the 400 series Conturas).

Note the following:

  1) It does not function without the 1.0 only flag with my compaq

  2) When I issue the halt system command, the machine powers the
     computer off, which is nice, but it sometimes does so without
     first sync'ing the disks... Because of this, the disk has on
     occasion required a manual fsck (ouch). I now use reboot and
     return it off manually!

  3) For some reason, it doesn't seem to support the display and HD
     timeout events... When the machine attempt to power down the
     HD, the system drops into the kernel debugger. I now have turned
     off the HD and Display timeout functions under the compaq bios.

  4) If the machine is suspended, the apmd sometimes terminates by
     itself. I then must restart it manually... I can't recall this
     happening with the -a option. The suspend feature works fine
     otherwise!

  5) If I run the apmd without the -a option and allow the computer
     to go into its sleep mode, the system time gets set (and written
     to battery backed ram) to the time the system shut down. I have
     then have to reset the time manually... I now use the -a option
     always...

  6) The `hibernate' feature of the compaq has worked correctly a few
     times...  I press the hibernate key sequence, the machine dumps core
     and video ram to a temp partition (handled by dos) and powers
     down. I turn the machine backup, the system restore the core
     and video ram an continues processing where it left off...
     ... I never use it for now...

Roy