Subject: trouble with linux emul and Xkernel
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bartholomew Niswonger <bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/26/1996 22:32:53
Hello,
	I would like to start by saying that I am very impressed with
the linux emulation in the netbsd-1.1 release, its excellent.  I have
run across a problem though, which I do not know how to solve, I hope
one of you might have some insight.

I am running Xkernel off of a AMD-5x86/133 board, with (alas) 8 megs
of ram, and 75 megs of swap.  For those of you who do not know,
Xkernel is a hacked sunos kernel and Xserver package which can be used
to turn opld Sun3's into Xterminals.  The Xterminal works fine, for
most things, I cna get an xterm, I can get the BSD version of
Netscape, but when I go to run a linux X-binary, such as plan or
netscape, I get the following error:

ROOT:monty# plan
plan: using incompatible library
'/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/libXpm.so.4.3'
        Desire minor version >= 4 and found 3
ROOT:monty# TRANS(SocketINETConnect) () can't get address for aardvark
Error: Can't open display: aardvark:0.0

(note: netscape gets the right libraries, so I dont think thats the
trouble, I have also tried it as a regular user)

I tried setting my DISPLAY to the ip number for aardvark and to the
fully qualified address, both of which failed.

Any pointers?

Bart Niswonger

   Bartholomew Niswonger
   bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu               Voice:..........312.955.2746

   CS Student...............University of Chicago
   Programmer...............Biological Sciences Division/Academic Computing
   Projects.................CGI/HTML & Databases
   OS of choice.............NetBSD {Amiga, hp300, i386}