Subject: Re: Asus P55TP4XEG
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/1996 21:33:32

> I have one of these boards, and it seems unable to boot NetBSD.  The
> system components are:
> 	32M in two 16M sticks
> 	AHA2940 SCSI (using ahc driver)
> 	two serial, one parallel
> 	Onboard IDE and floppy (EIDE)
> 	El-cheapo ISA video (until my PCI card arrives)
> 	SB16 and NE2000 compatible (all ISA as well)
> If anyone has such a hint, please share.  :)
>
> --Michael

I have found that theare is some variability with the way
certain PCI device configure themselves into the bus. Speaking
from experience with the Buslogic 946C, you may need to set your
AHA2940 to "auto" configure. If that is too obvious then you may
need to jumper it so as to force it into a certain interupt and
i/o address.

One other thing that threw me in my first experiences with PCI
was that if you allocate certain interupts to the PCI slots, the
unused ones don't get freed for use by some other lowly ISA card.
If your BIOS gives you an option to assign an interupt to a slot,
only assign the ones being used.

FYI - The combo I like is Tyan-1462 motherboard and Buslogic 946C