Subject: Re: reboot problem
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Eriks <beriks@mercury.jorsm.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/1996 21:58:44
On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Matthew B. Wood wrote:

> > I was wondering if anybody can shed some light on this problem. We
> > currently have a pentium PCI/I-P54TP4 with the asus bios running Netbsd 1.0.
> > It appears that the system is unable to perform a soft reboot. We have
> > upgraded our bios to release 111, but the problem is still there.
> >
> > Has anybody encountered/corrected the above reboot problem. Is this a
> > problem that perhaps is  fixed in Netbsd 1.1 ?
> > ==============================================================================
> > George E. Navas   		navas@bayarea.net
> > Voice: (408)447-8690  		Fax:(408)447-8691 	http://www.bayarea.net
>
> I had similar trouble with NetBSD 1.0.  I thought, too, that it was my
> hardware/firmware.  I posted to the i386 list and a few responses came
> back where people had pointed out the different routines NetBSD uses to
> force a reboot.  After making a recommended mod and rebuilding the
> kernel, I still had no success.
>
> What did work, though, was going to 1.0current and subsequently 1.1.  I
> had made no hardware upgrades or changes, and was using a fairly old
> 486dx33 motherboard (Magitronic) and AMI BIOS.  After the upgrade to
> 1.0current (this was late last summer), my soft reboots worked fine every
> time and I could rely on my machine to reboot from remote.
>
> I know it may seem like a real pain to upgrade, but I wholeheartedly
> recommend it.  MANY things are fixed in the new release, some of which
> are significant.  Be sure to grab the patch file that accompanies the 1.1
> release in case they haven't built it into the binary tar packages--if
> anything for your future kernel rebuilds.

I have seen this problem, as well.  That was one of my BIG reasons for
upgrading to 1.1.  However, the problem is still there in the new
version.  I have a similar system, a 486DX/33 with AMI BIOS.  From the
research that a friend and I have done, the code in reboot() does not reset
the IDE hard disk controller properly. (I get a HDD controller failure
once NetBSD reboots)  After hitting the reset button, everything is back
to normal again.

If someone wants to look into this, I can give some specs from my PC, and
I'm willing to try some things to get this worked out.

Thanks,
- Brian