Subject: Re: Crashes with XFree86
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/23/1996 23:15:27
You wrote (in your message from Tue 23)
 > Excerpts from mail: 22-Jan-96 Re: Crashes with XFree86 by "Brian J.
 > Fox"@samsara.c
 > >        I've configured XFree86 for my system, and when I run it, before the
 > >    first Xterm can even finish loading, the machine locks hard.
 > >
 > > I had a similar problem.  Paring down the fonts that I listed in
 > > XF86Config essentially solved the problem for me.
 > >
 > > You can test this out by simply commenting out all of the FontPath
 > > lines except for 75dpi and misc:
 >
 > Brian,
 >     I tried this, but it really didn't help.  It really seems to be some
 > kind of interaction with the mouse and hard drive.  I've found that

Have you checked that your mouse port and your SCSI controller
don't use the same interrupt ?

Another possible cause is the "memory remapping" feature of some
BIOSes: in the first 16Mo addressing space, there is a "hole" of 384Ko
between 640k and 1Mo that is used by graphic boards and other
memory-mapped devices. When you have 16Mo of RAM or more, these few Ko
are either lost or remapped after the logical end. With 16Mo of RAM,
this make 384  Ko after the fatal ISA 16Mo limit. If you have some ISA
device doing DMA, you loose.

					Matthieu