Subject: Crashes with XFree86
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/22/1996 10:09:58
    First off, I would really like to thank everybody who helped me with
my earlier SMC network card problem.  I was quite happy to know that DOS
DEBUG could bring my card back to life, and you all saved me about a
hundred dollars.  Plus, I've managed to hack boot.c so that I can boot
off my SCSI HD.

    Now that I'm getting things up and running, I've had a major problem
getting X to work.  I've grabbed XFree86 3.1.2 from ftp.iastate.edu, and
even the sources for 3.1.2 from ftp.rge.com and compiled my own just to
make sure.

    I've configured XFree86 for my system, and when I run it, before the
first Xterm can even finish loading, the machine locks hard.  With the
binaries I compiled, it simply locks, and after rebooting everything's
fine (short of some fsck work).  However, with the binaries I grabbed
off iastate, when I reboot the machine the CMOS checksum has always
become invalid, and I have to reset everything in my BIOS!!!  Does
anybody have any suggestions on why XFree86 would be beating on my
system like this, and how can I fix it?

    One thing I have noticed is that every time (about 12 now) I've
tried running X and it's crashed, the HDD has always been in mid-access.
 From when it crashes until the NCR BIOS resets the SCSI bus, the access
light for the computer glows steady.  Could it be a problem with the NCR
driver that's causing XFree86 to crash??

    Here's some of the basic info on my system:
ASUS PCI/I-4SP3G (onboard NCR SCSI controller), 486DX4/100, 16MB RAM
1 IDE HD (Not used by NetBSD)
2 SCSI HDs (both NetBSD-only)
STB PowerGraph 64 video card (S3-Trio64)
LogiTech MouseMan (PS/2) mouse

NetBSD 1.1 kernel with X options on, using pcvt console device.

I will provide any further information/output anybody requests.

Thanks in advance!!

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@WarpDrive.COM> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.COM
http://www.warpdrive.com/~woferry/      | talk:  finger for online status