Subject: Re: DOS drive letters
To: Martin Husemann <martin@laurin.teuto.de>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/21/1996 13:09:30
Martin Husemann <martin@laurin.teuto.de> writes:

>Does anybody know the algorithm DOS uses to assign drive letters to
>partitions?

In my experience it has been

	- primary DOS partition on each drive, in order of drive #
	  (in the case of a drive with TWO primary partitions, like
	   i've done on my win95/dos disk, they're done in order of
	   which is marked as startable first [i use os-bs 2.0b8 to
	   boot win95 or dos on a disk with a 10M dos partition and
	   a 235M win95 partition; i selected the "set start ID on
	   bootup option or whatever it is in OSBS, so if i boot to
	   DOS only, the 10M is C: and the 235M is D:, but if I boot
	   to win95, its the other way around, because OSBS changes
	   the 'startable' flag])

	- extended dos drive in each extended partition in order

Thus for example:

		You have			Becomes
		--------			-------
  Drive 0:	Primary DOS partition		  C:
		Extended partition
			extended dos drive	  E:
			extended dos drive	  F:

  Drive 1:	Primary DOS partition		  D:
		Extended partition
			extended dos drive	  G:

I hope
	- this makes sense
	- this is correct.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong .. this has been my experience.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group