Subject: Re: mb_map full
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/19/1996 10:25:41
>Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 23:29:42 +0000
>From: "Neil J. McRae" <neil@domino.org>

>> I got a kernel message "Jan  9 09:39:47 colwyn /netbsd: mb_map full"
>> this morning. What does it mean? I never saw it before.
>>
>It means that the kernel ran out of mbufs. Which to put simply are network
>buffers. It may help to build a kernel with options GATEWAY defined. If not
>then you have some, difficult, tweaking to do.

mbufs are dynamically allocated; what you're running out of is slots
in the VM map that is used to allocate memory for them.  The effect is
the same.

I get this message a lot, but everything still seems to work OK.
Running out of mbufs probably impacts performance, but I've never
bothered to check.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel