Subject: better EISA autoconfiguration code...
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/1996 23:10:38
Those of you interested in better EISA autoconfiguration code might
want to look at PR #1959, the summary of which is:

>Category:       kern
>Responsible:    kern-bug-people (Kernel Bug People)
>Synopsis:       There is no EISA autoconf code.  EISA device config sucks now
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jan 18 23:05:02 1996

I ported my NetBSD/Alpha EISA config code to -current, hacked out the
bits that involved my new ISA/EISA/PCI/etc. device framework, and
made the ahb driver use it.

Since I don't really consider myself the 'owner' of the EISA code, and
don't want to tread on his toes, i submitted it as a PR.  Hopefully
it'll get picked up soon.  In the mean time, people developing EISA
drivers of various flavors may want to look at it, make their drivers
use it, etc.

it's backward compatible with the current method of doing EISA config,
so EISA devices which use the ISA method of autoconfig (3c579, bt74x,
etc.) don't have to have their drivers changed...  (indeed, until a
few of the 'right things' are done with those drivers, they probably
shouldn't be converted...  see previous mail by me re: driver bus
attachment, for a notion of what i think the relevant 'right thing'
is.  8-)

chris